Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My daschund has an ear infection with yellow pus. How do I

Customer Question

My daschund has an ear infection with yellow pus. How do I treat this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. With any ear infection, your vet will have to prescribe an ointment to put in the ear based on cytology results. In most cases, they need to prescribe a course of steroids to settle the inflammation in the ear to allow the medication to work better. My concern is that pus usually indicates a severe bacterial infection, possibly psuedomonas, which can be resistant to a lot of antibiotics or get into the middle ear. Plus, the longer these infections go on, the more damage they do to the ear canal, which could result in irreversible swelling and chronic infections. It is one of the reasons that steroids are so important in treating ear infections. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can use at home that will treat this. These infections can get very nasty and difficult to control. I would recommend having your vet take a look at it tomorrow. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lexie. How is everything going?
Dr. John