Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My puppy my name is ***** ***** the other dog was playing

Customer Question

Customer: my puppy my name is ***** ***** the other dog was playing too ruff and she has put a small whole in his neck that has punctured his trake
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well his breathing out of the whole and trying to breath through his nose idk what to do will it heal on its own the whole is very small
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok and how much is it
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your puppy.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. Itch, allergy, and fleas are all really complicated things to deal with and finding solutions takes a long time.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok what else do u need to no

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Hi! Glad you're there... I've got a lot of important information to go over with you.

(typing more)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm glad you were able to identify this injury to the trachea. That's a good start. Any opening into the trachea, however, warrants emergency attention. This is definitely a situation where you'll want to get the puppy to a veterinarian as quickly as possible.

While some holes in the trachea can heal on their own (by "second intention") most of them require surgical repair. The only way to know if this wound needs surgery to heal is to have your puppy evaluated by a veterinarian.

It's much better to be safe than sorry, and I would advise getting your puppy to the ER as quickly as possible. That way they'll also be able to otherwise clean and care for the wound and prescribe any necessary pain medications and antibiotics.

Does this help to answer your question?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Are you still there? How else may I help you?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 11 months ago.

I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with your puppy. I've been worried about how he's doing.

Thanks!

Dr. Jo