Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dogs just ate my entire bottle of eye cream. (.5 oz). I

Customer Question

My dogs just ate my entire bottle of eye cream. (.5 oz). I has lots of extracts like olive fruit oil, green tea leaf extract and ginseng root extract. no parabens or mineral oils. How do I know if its toxic?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years.

Usually these type products are not toxic, but one of the best ways to know for sure is to call the customer service number of the company that made the cream. Look for the number on the packaging. Sometimes you can find it online. If not, then you have to check each ingredient individually. I can look most of them up for you. Let me know if you can find and call the number. If not, can you send me a complete list of ingredients.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I already called. It's origins and they just said that they are natural ingredients and not tested on animals (no help). Its a half oz bottle and one dog is 33lbs and the other is 15lbs. I'll send you a few ingredients and I'll do a few. Thanks
methyl trimethicone, silica, olea europae (olive fruit oil), cucumber fruit extract, giseng root extract, tribehnin shea butter are just a few of the many ingredients.

Okay.... Thats an easy way for them to get out of answering your questions. Did they happen to know if they would be toxic if a human child ate it? There are only a few things that are toxic in dogs, but not humans so that might help to know. But I will see what I find.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i didn't think to ask, i'll try right now.

Okay... the methyl trimethicone is not toxic in small amounts but can be irritating to the intestine.

The silica is fine, the olive fund oil, cucumber fruit extract, and ginseng root, and shea butter all cause intestinal upset only. The green tea extract can be toxic in very high or very chronic doses, but that isn't likely here.

I think they are likely to be fine or have stomach upset only. I would watch them. Maybe give them a little milk every hour for 3 hours just because the methyl trimethicone can be pretty irritating to the gut. Obviously if you see any symptoms, take them to a vet to have bloodwork run. But this was a pretty small quantity and I can't find a single case of toxicity from eye cream in my database. Obviously not all eye creams are the same, but this one looks okay.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** help with ingestion by humans either. Ill keep looking up ingredients.

Best wishes!