Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is a mix of labrador and cocker lately she started to

Customer Question

Customer: my dog is a mix of labrador and cocker lately she started to shake a little bit like she was cold or scared but today is the second time that she does that and also her eyes rolled back and were wide open I got relly scared
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well... my mom says I'm over reacting but you see shes just laying in my bed and sundelly she wakes up and run towards me and lays on my chest like hugging me and then she shakes and stops shakes and stops all of her body does that and her eyes wide open today she was sleep and then started shaking and her eyes rolled back I could only see the white part and they became red but like she was crying
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

How old is your dog, please? You appear to be describing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is defined as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity which can be associated with autonomic signs such as salivation and vomiting and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral changes. She has had at least two events. Over what period of time have these two events occurred, please? How long do they last? Are there any lingering effects?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is 3 years and 5 months old and that i saw at least 4-5 times not the same day and they las from 2 to 3 minutes that I had noticed i saw that salivation thing only twice

Thank you. When such behavior appears between the ages of 1-5 years, idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy is considered. Most of us will allow one episode monthly before considering anticonvulsive medication. If more than one occurs monthly or any one event is severe or long lasting (longer than 10 minutes) medication should be considered. A video of her behavior would be appreciated by her vet. This is a good case where a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Usually aggression like that is based out of fear, and can just be a personality thing, not always associated with a bad experience. I am glad she kept the food down. I would wait another hour or two and you could give a little more if you want to.