Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My German shepherd is 12 years & 8 months she has a running

Customer Question

My German shepherd is 12 years & 8 months she has a running nose and a small sore on her lip
Is there any thing I can do or should I go to the vets asap
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

At this age, with a persistent runny nose, I would consult a vet sooner than later. Persistent nasal discharge can be caused by a upper respiratory infection, allergies, or even a nasal pyolp or tumor.

However, I would also schedule the vet visit because of the small sore. It is in a location that is difficult to treat, so you don't want to risk it getting larger if it is possible a small mass/tumor.

I also suspect there really won't be any more effective over-the-counter therapy to try, so that also encourages me to recommend the vet visit as well.

Hope that information helps