Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 1 year old shih tzu has been having a hard time keep her

Customer Question

My 1 year old shih tzu has been having a hard time keep her hind legs straight for the past day or so. I am beginning to get concerned for her well being. It's like her hind legs are slipping backwards. She has a really sad look in her eyes.
I don't know if she is constipated or her legs are hurt.
What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her head kind of bobbles too. It's like she is dizzy. I am trying to think if anything is different for her lately. Her appetite has been less. She has an issue with eating her feces, this I've tried to stop by putting in the Forbid, which didn't seem to work. I don't know if that is the reason why? Her eating patterns are off, can't seem to get her to eat at a regular time.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It sounds like she may have a hereditary hip dysplasia that may just be showing up now or an injury that you were not aware of. If your gal has been normal otherwise and eating well, give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs until you can get her to your vet for xrays of this area. This does not sound anything like constipation or any other digestive issue.

I am concerned that she is showing neurologic signs such as head bobbing which could indicate an infectious encephalitis or even a brain lesion. Get your girl to your vet as soon as possible I am very worried about her since this has come on all of a sudden. You can start aspirin which will decrease inflammation and hopefully help.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of aspirin can I give her?

Since she is smaller, use baby aspirin which are 81 mg each...if she weighs 20 pounds, you would give 1 1/2 baby aspirin with food every 12 hrs.

I hope she will be ok!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta