Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I applied Advantix to my Golden Retriever/Huskey that had

Customer Question

I applied Advantix to my Golden Retriever/Huskey for fleas that had become present. It has been a week since I put it on him yet he continues to chew, scratch and bite on himself. Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now Advantix does tend to be a good product in clearing fleas. The only problem is flea saliva sensitive dogs do tend to keep itching even after we have gotten rid of the fleas. This is because what is driving them to itch is not the critters themselves but the allergic reaction their saliva causes. Therefore, we need to address this as well for Bear.

To do so, as long as his signs are mild, you can try him with an antihistamine (severe cases sometimes need long acting steroid given by injection to settle). Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl).A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, just in case you are still seeing fleas, do remember that they adults will lay eggs in carpeting and soft furnishings. Therefore, to avoid another wave of their next generation, we would want to wash all the soft furnishings we can. And if need be, treat the house as well. If you do need to do that, just make sure to use a flea product that has insect growth regulator (IGR) as this will kill larvae and eggs as well as adult fleas.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?
nekovet