Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What to do with a 40 pound lab puppy bite from spider right

Customer Question

What to do with a 40 pound lab puppy bite from spider right leg swollen and puss and blood oozing out
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. This situation is unfortunately one that at this time definitely requires veterinary care through a veterinarian. If the leg has edema and there is purulent material (puss) and blood oozing out from a sore / wound, then there is a significant infection going on there. At this point in time, there is a strong need for systemic antibiotics to help treat that infection. A veterinary visit will allow them to assess the situation and set up the best treatment plan. Typically clipping and cleaning the area of the wound is done. Then a bandage may be utilized to help protect / clean up the wound. Rechecks would be set up to change the bandages and to further treat the wound topically. It is important to get on these situations as quick as possible to allow the best chance of healing.