Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My name is ***** *****. My dog ate 12 oz. of sonoma classic

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****. My dog ate 12 oz. of williams sonoma classic hot chocolate mix. He weighs 39 lbs and also has IMHA.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, I'm just wondering if I need to take him to the emergency vet. The hot chocolate mix ingredients are bittersweet guitard chocolate, sugar, chocolate liquor processed with potassium cabronate, cocoa butter, butter oil, soy, lecithin, etc.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Yes if this was just the mix and not with water I would strongly urge a veterinary er, especially with his history of IMHA but this amount of chocolate will be toxic so please go to your local er to give medication and induce vomiting but also activated charcoal to coat the intestinal tract and prevent further absorption

I hope this information makes sense, I am signing off in just a few moments but didn't want any delay in your response...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you!

You are very welcome, best wishes tonight to you both truly

If you are able, please bring the packaging with you

Hello I am checking in on you and your dog after the events yesterday? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!