Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is a shitzu 7 years old, he is like my kid, i took m

Customer Question

my dog is a shitzu 7 years old, he is like my kid, i took him to the vet because i thought he may of had a blockage in his bowells, they said they took an x ray and didnt see anything, he is still not using the bathroom he is puking as soon as he takes in anything, they charged me 383 dollars last time and honestly i cant afford to take him again, I dont know what to do for him they gave him anitibiotic and medicine so he wouldnt get sick, I am out of both and he is getting even worse and starting to get sick, i tried to flush him and squoze some stool out out, didnt look like anything out of the ordinary but his butt would pucker out, i am running out of things to do and i am afraid i am running out of time, can you please give me some advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
what he pukes up is like a white foamy material, he really isnt eating much now either, he is usually happy and right now he is just miserable, i would say he has lost 3 pounds, when he pukes its like his whole stomach is convulsing, he is also sitting on his butt and rocking on it, and he was swollen around the anus, i put on glove and squoze where it was swollen in an outward motion kind of like milking a cow and it looked like alot of infection came out, but that was at least ten days ago and i tried to repeat the process after this and had no results so i thought he was maybe getting better cause he was acting better but now it seems to be worse than ever so please give me some advice asap
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 12 months ago.

Reviewing your question now.

Are you still connected to discuss how Rascal is doing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
he is right here too, he is just laying around, not much energy got him to eat a little roast beef

Understood. Give me a few minutes to respond.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i have also tried very low doses of stool softener but still nothing, but i figured i would tell you that too, just so you know all the info

Well, a few concerns.

I know the vet said the x-ray was okay.

But!

Not all foreign bodies or material that can cause an obstruction is easy to visualize. If the x-rays were digital and not on standard film, ask the vet to send them to a radiologist. A may be a nominal extra fee but worth it to have a specialist review the x-rays.

My other concern, if no foreign body, is if there could be pancreatitis. Once the pancreas is upset, a pet will keep vomiting repeatedly, and they usually need to be hospitalized on IV Fluids.

more info to come

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Do not give any stool softeners. It will likely make him worse. It should have been apparent on the x-rays if he was constipated. If not, you don't want to repeat giving that type of drug.

You generally don't want to give any food for at least 8 to 12 hours from the last vomiting episode.

A bland diet can be some boiled boneless skinless chicken and some cooked white rice.

But, this is really not ideal. Based on your description, I strongly recommend getting back in to the vet for better supportive care.

That should include maybe the vet prescribing Cerenia, a once a day antivomiting drug that is very good.

Wish I could do more.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 11 months ago.
Hi Chris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rascal. How is everything going?