Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 14 month old female boxer has been chewing at the end of

Customer Question

My 14 month old female boxer has been chewing at the end of her rear at first I looked hoping it wasn't an anal gland issue no all good so then she kept doing it and I finally was able with my husband holding her to check her tail. Well I got to the end pulled up she doesn't want it touched and underneath the hair on bottom it was red and had like white like pustules on it. I decided to see if they were pop able but they feel hard size is like end of a dull pencil maybe smaller. I have given her benadryl to help with itching and then I put some hydrocortisone ointment on it. Well needless to say she knows I've touched it she then is like wanting to lock it off. I read up on what I could find and it had mange and or mites her tail looked nothing g like those pictures and mites they sounded like they would be all over her belly and it's ok . But I can't stand to see her going crazy and I can't keep drugging her up with benadryl and I don't have a vet where we just moved to yet. What do you think? Georgie appreciate some help for me to help her. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you post a picture on this thread for me to see?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- How many milligrams of benadryl are you giving her and how often?