How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19122
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate covered mints several hours ago is now

Customer Question

my dog ate chocolate covered mints several hours ago is now vomiting it up...should I do anything more for him
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

2. Can you give me a rough idea how many chocolate covered mints were swallowed { In ounces } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He weighs 13 lbs and ate about 5 oz cheap thin mints
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

Good news, this incident is unlikely to affect your dog too much. The danger here would be the chocolate content of such mints, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see any signs of serious toxicity. I say this because :

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark semi-sweet dark chocolate { Which is much more toxic than milk chocolate } mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 13 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 3.9 ozs { nearly 1/4 pound } of pure dark chocolate before any serious symptoms would occur. And of course in your case the chocolate was just a coating so the amount ingested would have been much less then the 5 ozs total weight of the mints. Mint is not toxic to dogs by the way.

2. From the above I think it very likely that you may see a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea which should soon pass over the next 24 hours so the chances are it is safe to just monitor your dog for present. Make sure he has access to water at all times and put him on light feeding for the next 24 hours.

3. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning can include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. Where larger amounts have been swallowed this can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if you suspect more serious symptoms are occurring.

4. Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will usually recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate mint incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.