Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ingested a brownie with marijuana in it. He had a

Customer Question

My dog ingested a brownie with marijuana in it. He had a rough night with severe hiccups and twitching of his limbs.
Better this a.m. But doesn't walk very steadily. Seems better but won't move off the sofa.
Obviously, is stressful for me as well as him. What to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

Thankfully it's almost impossible to seriously overdose a dog with THC. Supportive care - antiemetic therapy if vomiting persists, supplemental fluids if water can't be retained due to vomiting and/or anorexia, warming of the body to counter the expected hypothermia, and atropine if bradycardia (slow heart rate) is worrisome - is provided. Tremors are controlled with diazepam at a low dose. Clancy's eating this morning is a positive prognostic sign. There's no reason to treat him in any manner. He's going to have a nice rest now and I expect a full recovery over the next 36 hours. I've seen some dogs remain symptomatic for up to 4 days after ingesting more THC than Clancy ingested in that brownie.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.