Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I was curious on what I need to watch my dog. She was t by a

Customer Question

Hi. I was curious on what I need to watch for in my dog. She was hit by a car on Monday. She came home from the animal hospital yesterday afternoon. She required fluids and a blood transfusion due to some internal bleeding, which seems to have resolved. I guess I'm really just nervous about what to watch out for. She's not eating much yet. She did eat a plain egg last night. She is drinking water ok.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Poor little Lucy! It sounds like she is doing well and I am hoping that your vet did send home some medications for her. The bruising from this trauma will still be causing her pain so it is not unusual for her to be not wanting to eat much and be somewhat lethargic. She should show improvement every day and if she does not or becomes even more lethargic, I would have your vet recheck her to be sure. I would recommend, along with the medicatons that Lucy is on, to also give her a dose of Nutrical, available at the pet store, every 4-6 hrs. This will give her the nutrients and vitamins that she needs to heal and acts as an appetite stimulant. From what you have described, this appears to be a normal healing process but if something does not seem right, have your vet recheck her.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****