Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog woke up suddenly in the night. Was dizzy, vomited and

Customer Question

My dog woke up suddenly in the night. Was dizzy, vomited and drank a lot of water after. He no longer is dizzy and can walk straight but He seems like he is in pain right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also hear some gurgling sounds coming from his stomach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I poked around his stomach area and it didn't seem to cause him any pain. He is sleeping now. Is my dog sick ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any access to toxins, human medications, plants, or anything harmful?

Where did you think he was in pain?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any breathing changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No access to anything toxic. I'm not sure where he was in pain but he was clearly woozy and dizzy for a while.He was very short of breath initially. But is breathing normally now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When he vomited it was mostly saliva
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was sleeping under my bed when it initially happened and he woke me up because I heard him stirring. Is it possible that he hit his head really hard on the bottom of my bed because he was dreaming ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

It is unlikely this is a head trauma with his GI signs and quick resolution of the dizziness. Instead, based on his signs, lack of toxic exposures, and age; these signs are most suggestive of a vestibular event. This is where the vestibular system (organ of balance) and the brain miscommunicate. This is something we see in older dogs and they can suddenly become dizzy, wobbly, agitated, and nauseous. Some dogs can even be so affected they cannot stand and just roll because they cannot tell which way is up. And it can last minutes to days depending on the dog.

With this all in mind, I am glad that your lad settled quite quickly. From there, we'd just want to monitor, make sure we don't see any obvious pain signs, and try to settle that stomach. In regards ***** ***** latter, you can try him on an OTC antacid at this stage like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Finally, since this can recurr without warning, we do sometimes put these dogs on brain supportive supplements and antioxidants (ie Aktivait ). So, that could be an option here for your wee one.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not sleeping soundly. But gets up every 5 minutes to lie in a new spot. Given that is is 2am. Should I be worried? Or had the issue resolved itself ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I suspect he is still nauseous from this and that will make him restless and uncomfortable. So, as long as there is no soreness in that belly (where we'd be concerned that he had something in his stomach that shouldn't be there), I would again advise using an antacid to soothe that stomach and see if we can get him resting.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He woke up again 3 hours later. Same thing happened. This time I noticed a small amount of blood in his vomit. But he is calm again now and trying to sleep. Does this indicate something wrong internally? Do I need to take him to a 24 vet? Or can this wait until morning where I can go to banfield where I have pet insurance ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Poor wee lad,

No, it doesn't necessarily suggest anything seriously wrong internally. The bit of blood likely is just due to the force of his vomiting and stomach acid irritating the throat. So, as long as the gums are still pink, the belly is non-painful, and you are sure he didn't eat anything that could be irritating or damaging the stomach (which we'd not expect at his age), then it is fine to let him try to settle and monitor until his regular vet is open.

Dr. B.