Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I think my dobie has a broke. Paw and it is swelling

Customer Question

I think my dobie has a broke . Paw and it is swelling
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Are there any puncture wounds are any bleeding, regardless of how small a hole may be?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No punctures a scrape but the swelling is bad. She won't get in the car so can't take her to vet.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, it is too late in my household to be taking calls. But, I type fast.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Well, two things.

1. Good news is no obvious puncture wounds. Any puncture, no matter how small, warrants immediate antibiotic therapy. That is a critical point.

2. However, the swelling. This is one of my primary rules when answering questions on-line. If there is ever any visible swelling, whether due to allergic reaction or an injury, it must be more immediately addressed. You have no way to medical manage a bad soft tissue injury or fracture at home.

So, you will need to work with family or friends to assist you with getting Riley in to your vehicle, so an emergency vet can address the paw. I do agree that acute swelling that is bad is suggestive of a possible fracture, serious soft tissue trauma, or luxation.

I wish I could do more.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave her amoxician today. She eats good and drinks good goes outside to potty. Just doesn't put weight on her front paw. She is not socialized I have dog sleeping pills I thought . Might give her tom and really inspect the paw and immobilize it. She is not friendly just me.and I am handicapped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long for. A break to heal
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I understand. But, it is a serious injury. You are giving a lot of different medications, and these types of drugs may not go well together. Also, even if you can more thoroughly evaluate the paw, that will still not change the prognosis. An x-ray will be very important to evaluate the severity of injury and to help ascertain if any type of splinting or surgical correction is necessary.

Even if not friendly, vets deal with these situations all of the time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm. I would. Have to sedate her heavily in order to get her in the car. Then finding someone to lift her is my prob. What can I give her for the sweling
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I break, that is properly stabilized, which is often by pins or bone plates, can take 6-8 weeks.

An fractured bone or joint injury that is not properly stabilized may never heal correctly and can predisposed to life-long complications.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

The swelling is severe. I truly feel that nothing is appropriate to give over-the-counter in this situation. EVen aspirin would be advised against.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I would simply keep her quiet and confined, no running and no going outside off leash, until you can make arrangements to get her in to a vet.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Also, that percocet you gave has acetaminophen in it. So, I would advise against also giving any other anti-inflammatory medication. These drugs incombination can be very hard on the digestive tract.

I must retire for the evening. May I be of any further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. She stays quient and I keep th . Cane corso mastiff away from her. She sleeps either in her crate. Or on her pillows with her paw up on a higher pillow. She only goes outside to. Go potty then comes back in and goes to sleep. I feel bad. I will keep my eye on her I don't like to make her sleep except to cut her nails. She hates the car and always has Thx for u r answer
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Good Luck!