Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has stopped eating his food that he has ate years,he

Customer Question

my dog has stopped eating his food that he has ate for 10 years,he never ate human food except snacks.sweets.he is drinking plenty of water and eats his doggie treats
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern. For a dog that has had such a routine appetite and for the same food to become inappetent is a very significiant concern. I would advise, at this age, not to take a wait and see approach. Even if drinking water and treats, that is not sufficient. Unfortunately, the differential list for causes of inappetence are endless. We cannot determine if this is related to infection, organ disease, cancer causes, primary stomach problems, etc...So, this is well worth a vet visit and I would start with screening tests. That should include a basic blood profile and a urine test. That will answer a lot of general questions about overall health and guide treatment. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. Good LuckDr. Andy