Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Does that fixable? My boston almost 2 years old Having same

Customer Question

Does that fixable?
My boston almost 2 years old
Having same problem with limping his back leg ... He can't walk in the morning, but later he is better . It's been probably for a month now ... Can i do anything to figure out , maybe xrays or see someone who can fix that ? I thought it will go away by self,but not.
I got insurance for my dog , but there is waiting period 15 days ... I want to make sure its ok to wait and there is no additional problems with more times.
My son played with him many times and grabbed him by his back legs , I thought maybe he braked his back leg , but from the other side dog probably wouldn't step at all if that leg is broken..I don't know, I really want to help him and dont want to greate more problems.
Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Now I am quite concerned about Tyson.

If he has been limping on his back leg for a while, then self resolving issues like muscle pulls/stains are unlikely. As well, if he can walk on it, then we'd hip dislocation, nerve damage, spinal issues, and full thickness fractures of the bone are less likely. Therefore, instead, we'd be worried about a possible damaged or ruptured tendon in his knee, arthritis (though he is young), hip dysplasia, or a possible hairline fracture (or even fracture of one of the smaller bones) with these persistant signs.

So, while I appreciate that he has an exclusion waiting period, it would be ideal to have him seen as soon as possible. When you do, a full orthopedic examination plus xrays would be best. It will let your vet appreciate which issue is present. Depending on their findings, he may need medical management with pain relief or surgery (if there is a ruptured tendon or fracture) may be indicated.

Finally, in the meantime, the mainstay of supportive care here would be to rest him. So, he needs to avoid stairs, jumping on furniture or long walks. We just want to give him small lead walks on flat surfaces only until he is seen. And if that other vet saw him recently, you could ring them to see if they will dispense dog safe pain relief for him. Otherwise, if there is an arthritis concern, you could try him on some OTC joint supplements in the meantime. In regards ***** ***** options, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs with arthritis. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and the ones we typically use for dogs in this situation would be Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in animals with mild signs, but it might be enough help him here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. Otherwise, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for Tyson.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )