DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

Doctor I race horse and have one that have popped a curve do

Customer Question

Doctor I race horse and have one that have popped a curve do I need to go ahead an get it freeze fired
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. I am assuming you mean a curb. The area on the backside of the hock...ie the plantar ligament is inflamed and swollen. Firing these areas or bucked skins is not considered the best therapy anymore. It is more damaging then it is healing. I would recommend looking into shockwave therapy which is much more beneficial in easing pain and helping to heal the ligament. If you have not had it ultra sounded, that might be a good idea as well to make sure you don't have a major tear in the ligament. In summary, shockwave, icing or cold poulticing, and rest se the best therapy for a curb injury. I hope this helps. Best of luck.