Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has a nose bleed,which seems to be getting worse.

Customer Question

My dog has a nose bleed,which seems to be getting worse. what should I do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Rascal.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 12 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to chat about your question about Rascal. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question is open to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Jo for you. Unfortunately, a bleeding tumor in the nasal sinus(es) or nasal cavity is the most common cause of epistaxis (nose bleed) in a dog of Rascal's age. Thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets) due to tick-borne infections or idiopathic (unknown cause) and poisoning by an anticoagulant rodenticide should also be considered but there should be a history of exposure to ticks or such a rodenticide in those cases. Rascal's vet will want to perform a complete blood count and scope Rascal's nose to be able to clarify why Rascal's epistaxis has arisen and now worsened. This isn't something you can manage at home. If bleeding won't stop, an on-call vet will need to pack Rascal's nasal passage(s) with epinephrine-saturated cotton.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.