Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

My 14 lb diabetic dog ate a bag of candy corn. He has puked

Customer Question

My 14 lb diabetic dog ate a bag of candy corn. He has puked four times in the last half hour.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He isn't acting himself. I have tried to get him to eat some carrots and dog food but he wont.
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 12 months ago.

Hi there,

I'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question. I just need a little more information.

What time did your dog eat the candy corn and what time did he start vomiting?

Also, was he due for another insulin injection or did you give one as a result of the candycorn ingestion?

Is he a well controlled diabetic?

What is his insulin type, dose and diet?

Can you check his blood glucose at home?

Thank you & I will be standing by for your response,

Dr. Karing

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He ate the candy around 3:30pm. He started puking at 6:00pm. He eats approximately 1/3 cup of Taste of the Wilderness and a few carrots at 6am and 6pm. He takes approximately 4 units of Novolin insulin at those times also. He has been controlled for about a year.

Do you know if the candycorn was sweetened normally with sugar or could it have been sugar free made with xylitol?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Regular Brachs candy corn. Not sugar free or artificial sweeteners.

Okay, since insulin was given and Buster is refusing to eat (and vomiting), my advice is to wipe a small amount of pancake syrup (with real sugar) on his gums. This will help to prevent low blood sugar that can occur when insulin is given without food. He has only been vomiting for around half an hour so just let him rest for a couple of hours without offering any food. If he can go two hours without vomiting, then I would advise 5mg of Pepcid AC (over the counter antacid with the generic name famotidine). You can offer him a small bland meal simultaneously and again a couple of hours later (such as a tablespoon of shredded white chicken).

He may be quiet this evening but as long as he stops vomiting and can hold a couple of small meals down he should be okay. If he continues to vomit, then I would advise a trip to the vet even if it is after hours. As a diabetic he can dehydrate quickly. However, I suspect that in a couple of hours he will feel better; however, he may have some loose stools. In the morning, provided he has stopped vomiting, please feed him first/watch him eat and then give him insulin. If he vomits overnight while you are sleeping, then I would not feed him and take him straight to the vet.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karing

I wondered how Baxter is doing today. Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Dr. Karing

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I hope all is well with Baxter. I would appreciate the kindness of a rating if you found my answer helpful. I do not get compensation unless you accept my answer.

Thank you,

Dr. Karing