Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog (Two yr old lab) got into some old cooking grease and

Customer Question

My dog (Two yr old lab) got into some old cooking grease and now is vomiting and has diarrhea. How can I help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- How many hours since the last time he vomited?

4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little lethargic. I don't know weight - maybe 80 pounds. Vomited 3 times in last hour and half.
The cooking grease happened late yesterday
Gums r pink
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am typing your answer. Please give me another few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is common for a dog to develop vomiting or diarrhea after ingestion cooking grease. The other concern would be pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coal. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter