Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog stepped on bee looked dead, but now she can't put her

Customer Question

my dog stepped on bee looked dead, but now she can't put her foot down. i don't see a stinger in her foot. what can i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about poor Daisy's stepping on a bee and subsequent lameness.

This is probably related to a sting, even though you cannot see it. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by hair and diffuse swelling.

Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.

Is her breathing and activity level normal?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound or one half of a 25mg capsule per 7 to 15 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur. Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.

You can also soak her foot in ice water and/or give her a cool water spot bath/soak with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe her skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and oatmeal reduces inflammation. Let her paw sit in the soak for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cool water and pat dry.

If her paw looks swollen or red in one particular area you can apply cortisone ointment (like Cortaid) to that area.

And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.

The swelling/redness/discomfort should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.

In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.

Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.

Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.

If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.

If you 'd like you can have her regular vet check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if she seems to be doing well then I would just call them and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****