Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a silky terrier he is 9 on s back leg at the upper

Customer Question

I have a silky terrier he is 9 on his back leg at the upper part of the bottom part of his leg the black nub thats there has gotten big there is a red area ware it is earatated dos not seem to bother him he runs around fine does not pick at it what should i do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this growth been present?

Does it look to be stretching the skin with its growth?

Any odor, discharge, or splitting of the skin?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket,Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Photo sent
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Another photo i dont know how long it was there we just saw it last nite
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I looks like the skin is streached looke to be moist but not sure he just got ***** *****cking it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I share your concern about this lump. While it does not look like a sinister mass and could be a benign growth ( ie wart, papilloma, etc), the reddening and the reddened area at the base due make this look like a mass that is reaching the extent of how far local skin can stretch. Therefore, I would be concerned that we have a solid mass (as opposed to an abscess or cyst) that will start ulcerating through the skin (which will be sore and an infection risk) if it were to grow any more. Furthermore, with its location, it is the type of mass that we'd really want off before it gets too large to be removed safely (since skin is limited in that area).

With this all in mind, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). An FNA is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If fluid is removed, then a cyst is most likely (which could still be removed or may just fill/rupture repeatedly if left). Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. And I would note that if Jr is due a booster soon, you can consider moving that appointment up so that this can be checked at the same time.

Overall, this lump doesn't look overly sinister but it does look like it is thinking about ulcerating. As well, it is in a location that can be difficult to remove masses if this were to grow at all. Therefore, it'd be ideal to be proactive here and have your vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thak you doc i will contact our vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I do think that is a good plan of action, just since we want to be able to ensure they can fully remove this with clean margins if need be from this site. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.