Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Vida. My dog is very suddenly pacing hunched over and cries

Customer Question

Customer: Vida. My dog is very suddenly pacing hunched over and cries if you move her.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is 9 years old and was perfectly fine until about 9 pm, yelped in the other room, had not jumped or been doing anything in particular, and seemed to be in mild discomfort. Now it seems worse.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Depends on how long.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that no one was available late at night to chat with you. How is your pup doing this morning? I'm going to attach some info, but please know that if you are no longer in need of help, you are under no obligation to accept or pay for my answer. I just don't want to leave you hanging.

From your description of her hunching over and crying, I suspect strongly either back pain or abdominal pain. Back pain can come on quite suddenly and without obvious explanation - things like slipped or ruptured discs or pinched nerves can be very painful. If her discomfort is significant and worsening, the safest thing to do would be to have her examined ASAP at an emergency hospital if your regular vet isn't open. This is especially true if she is dragging or scuffing her toes or her rear legs become weak, which would indicate spinal compression that could be very serious.

Abdominal pain, in my experience, is much less likely to make them "yelp" or cry out (as I see dogs with spinal pain cry out frequently), but it's still a possibility if she's hunched over. If you're seeing any abdominal distention, vomiting or unproductive retching, these would also be red flags that she should be examined urgently.

Keep her bedded down and don't allow her to move around any more than absolutely necessary until you can speak with your regular veterinarian.

Please let me know how you all are doing this morning :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)