Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My pup has a small lump on her leg looks like a small tumor

Customer Question

My pup has a small lump on her leg looks like a small tumor or abcess. It keeps getting bigger it's red in color and now today it's bleeding a little bit at she keeps kicking it. This is the first time shes noticed it. I have a picture but don't know how to upload it. What could it be? Should I bring her in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your pup has a lump that is bothering her. Pictures can be really helpful in deciding the possible causes of the lump, so if you can attach it, that would be very helpful.

To attach a picture, click on the little paperclip button on the top of your typing box and then browse the images on your computer. Does that help?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's what it looks like now. Before it was just a dry bump but I think she may have itched aND licked it
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning! Thank you for the picture. That is really helpful!

Your pup appears to have what is most likely a histiocytoma. These are benign skin tumors of young dogs. The good news is that they will go away on their own after about 2 to 3 weeks. If you can place a cone (e-collar) on your dog or a tshirt to cover the lump, this will prevent licking and scratching and it will go away more quickly.

Here is a link that discusses histiocytomas in more detail:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1676

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Best regards,

Dr. A

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what I was thinking it was I'm just worried because she's had it for about 5 weeks now and it's only seeming to get worse. Wondering if I need to take her in or not.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

The total progression for histiocytomas, from start (small lump) to finish (the lump falling off) is about 6 to 8 weeks.

If you are worried, you can take her to your vet, but you may consider waiting a few more days, as the lump is likely on its way out.

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 12 months ago.
Hi Megan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar

How is the lump doing today? Did you end up taking your pup to the vet to have it examined? Is it still itchy? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda