Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

I have a 5 yr old beagle and a few weeks ago I noticed a

Customer Question

I have a 5 yr old beagle and a few weeks ago I noticed a small smooth round bump about the size of the tip of your pinky,it is almost like a boil but on the inside not out,it is not discolored or causeing her discomfort,it is located just below ribs near
I guess the side belly,it seems to be attached to bottom of skin because you can pull her skin with it still on,it feels like a really ripe grape,what could it be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

There are several possibilities, based on your description:

1. Hair follicle cyst (benign)
2. Glandular cyst (benign)
3. Mast cell tumor (cancerous)
4. Cutaneous histiocytoma (benign)
5. Sarcoma (cancerous)
6. Adenocarcinoma (cancerous)

Only a biopsy can differentiate between the types and because some are potentially cancerous, I would not wait long to get a biopsy done. This can be done relatively quickly and inexpensively via what's called a fine needle aspirate that does not require surgery/anesthesia.

Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took her to vet today and she said to wait and see if it got bigger she said it could be anything from a lipoma or cancer ,would there be a red flag for cancer
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

There are no red flags. Even a small innocent looking bump could be cancer. I would not wait to see if it gets bigger - get it biopsied! If it's benign, no big deal, but if it's not, you'll lose valuable time if you don't find out now.

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 12 months ago.

Hi again, checking in to see if you have any additional questions that have come up! Please be sure to rate my answers if you've found them helpful and let me know if there is something else I can help with. Thanks!