Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My male pit Thor has been dripping a little bit of blood

Customer Question

Hi my male pit bull Thor has been dripping a little bit of blood from.his penis but he is acting he normal hyper happy self , he has been trying to hump this dog for like a week stright but hasn't been able to get it in because the female dog is to short
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your guy hasn't been 100% normal, but I am glad that he's still happy!!

It's not unusual at all for young dogs to traumatize the sensitive and thin skin of their penis with all of their "escapades". The more he rubs it on inappropriate things, the more likely you are to see continued bleeding. Having said that, there is also a possibility that he has a bladder or prostate infection. As long as he continues to act normally it's not likely an emergency (assuming it's not a continuous dripping of blood that is). However, it's still a good idea to have him examined by your vet when you can, especially if this doesn't clear up when he stops traumatizing himself on your female dog. The best way to stop all of that is to keep them physically separate, which is obviously a good idea if you hope not to have puppies. Beware - it's not easy to keep them apart!!

What questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still a litte confused he is 11 momths he will be a year in January He is acting his normal 100 % him self he's not acting like he's in pain or anything and it's only happend after he's been trying to hump and he's just rubbing on her back and he's been trying to hump her for like a week stright he did hump our other pit bull last week which is fine we want puppies but this other dog is getting fixed next week but he hasn't been able to get it in so he's just been humping her back Thor is like my son I treat him just like I would if I had a real son so I'm just scared and I can't take him to the vett I don't have the money till I get my taxes and your answer was okay but I'm still a little confused
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

What are you confused about? I'd be happy to help

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like he's traumatizing his penis by rubbing it on your girl's back. That's very sensitive tissue that will bleed easily. I can't say for 100% sure without examining him myself, but that sure sounds like what's going on here.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have another 18$ so I can not call , I'm confused because you said something about not bleeding a lot , he's been bleeding not like a lot a lot , but little drops here and there and ive been wiping it with baby wipes should I leave it alone or how do I get it to stop he's not bleeding right now but after I wiped him he started bleeding again
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Don't worry about the phone thing - the website automatically offers that. It's not me :)

The best way to get it to stop is to stop him from humping your girl's back (by separating them if need be). He reinjures himself each time this happens, and the bleeding will continue. If you're seeing a continuous dripping of blood that doesn't stop, then he should be examined by a veterinarian. A few spots of blood here and there isn't necessarily cause for major concern, but you should have him seen when you are able. Most commonly in this situation he's hurting himself by humping and rubbing his penis off of things that he shouldn't. Other less likely causes would be bladder or prostate infections. You can keep the outside of his penile sheath clean with baby wipes as you're doing now.

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is wiping his penis like the tip with a baby wipe going to make it worse I wiped where the bleeding was coming from
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I rate you at , you were very helpful
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

You don't want to exteriorize the moist pink part of the penis - just dab the external tip gently.

You should see an area that has five stars for you to click. It's usually fairly well marked when you are reading the question. If you aren't able to locate it, we can contact customer service. Thanks for the kind words. Let me know if I can help more :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to keep them apart so when should he be healed
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

It should take less than a week for the blood to stop, likely days as long as he doesn't continue to reinjure himself. If it's not going away, then I'd be suspicious there might be something else going on.

~Dr. Sara