Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

While i was cutting my dog hair on her head she moved and i

Customer Question

While i was cutting my dog hair on her head she moved and i cut her open. The wound didn't bleed much but it is pretty long. It is about 2 cm long and 1/2 cm deep. I took her to the animal hospital and they were charging me $1800 for stitches plus anesthetic. They told me i could take care of the wound how should i take care of her wound or should i take her to her vet and ask them to stitch her up? she 18 and she's a shitzu
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry you are in this position for an 18 yr old dog with all the saftey measures needed for safe anesthesia, I'm not surprised it costs that much. If they gave you the option of caring for it at home then what you need to do is to wash it daily with soap and water. DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide more than one time as it delays healing. Also ointment based creams like neosporin also slow healing, water based creams (most are prescription unfortunately but ask a pharmacist) are ok in the wound. If you can keep the wound clean daily, and she is not lcking it, scratching at it, or laying on it getting it dirty then it certainly can heal. If this starts draining anything other than clear or thin red fluid then it has become infected and needs antibiotics. All wounds heal faster when stitched up and usually heal with fewer complications but if they did not say it MUST be sutured then keeping it clean and allowing it to scab is the most important thing for you to do. You also may want to have your regular non emergency vet tomorrow they may provide you with the appropriate cream or antibiotics if needed. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more quesitons.

Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Inez Mapes,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Purdy. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan