Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a anal problem He is in pain when he relieves

Customer Question

My dog has a anal problem He is in pain when he relieves himself His anus appears to be really red and others it seems to be oozing a greenish or yellowish substance. He turns to smell of himself and wants to lick He didn't seem to have this problem until we took him to the vet to have the vet remove impacted papertowel/paper that the dog had eaten. Since then he seems to be in pain and wants me right with him when he needs to go. I have been putting destin on the dogs anus. Is this okay? It seems to sooth him for a while. Is there anything over the counter that I could get for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am currently not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he licking the anal region?

3- Are you seeing any swelling in the area?

4- Is the greenish/yellowish discharge coming out of the rectum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for several months. He does lick the anal region. Haven't really noticed any swelling but really not sure. Not sure about the discharge but it isn't all the time only from time to time He is a house dog so he isn't outside very much either.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- The redness is on the anal sphincter or the skin next to the sphincter?