DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

I have an 8 month old large pup. (about 71 pounds). He chews

Customer Question

I have an 8 month old large pup. (about 71 pounds). He chews on everything, even pulling branches off bushes. He can go through a rawhide (which I don't like to give him) in about an hour. He will not chew on Rubber or Nylon chews. Is there a solution? Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Unfortunately chewing is just a part of being a puppy. Your pup doesnt sounds excessive or abnormal....just because he is so large, he can chew through a heck of a lot more than the average puppy. It definitely can be harmful for him to chew on plants or wood chunks so keep him away from these things. Offer plenty of acceptable chew toys. You could try a Nylabone which might take longer to get through than the rawhides if he doesnt like things that are rubber like the Kong. Rope chew toys can be good as well. Stay away from cow feet and pigs ears etc as these can also cause GI upset or if eaten in large chunks, can cause a bowel obstruction.

Something else that may help (especially with the wood chewing issue or chewing other undesirable things like furniture) is to go through a puppy obedience class. This helps him recgonize your authority and gives you the ability to redirect his behavior with commands like SIT and DROP. Teaching him to DROP things he grabs that he is not supposed to have is an excellent tool to curb this behavior. Always try to immediately offer a desireable chew object in place of the undesireable and give plenty of praise. Also keep him active. A bored dog will try to alleviate boredom by occupying himself (with chewing). Going through puppy classes and continuing his training at home helps with this boredom as well. The important thing to keep in mind is that the chewing behavior will lessen somewhat (not completely) over time as he matures.

There is no cure for chewing. Its just a matter of making sure they have safe things to chew on and redirecting bad chewing to more desireable behaviors that they get praised for. I hope this helps. Best of luck.