Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Took m off the hypo thyroid med and he seems normal. Picky

Customer Question

took him off the hypo thyroid med and he seems normal. Picky eater and it has to be Duck and potato to prevent ear infections. He eats Hills brand dry mixed with canned but picks or licks all the canned and leaves dry. How can I ween him off canned. Should
I cook duck, rice, pumpkin...a more natural approach.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If you're interested in cooking a presumptively hypoallergenic diet for Caledon you have to be careful to concoct one that's balanced. Here's a good example of such a home-cooked diet:

venison, roasted 5 ounces

rice, white, long-grain, cooked, 3 cups

salt substitute (potassium chloride), 1/2 tsp

bone meal powder, 2 tsp

salt, iodized (sodium chloride), 1 tsp

multivitamin & mineral tablet, kids complete, 1 each

zinc, 100 mg tablet, 1/2 tablet

This provides 1009 kcal - the daily requirement for a 40lb neutered adult dog. He should love this recipe. I have other recipes using tofu, rabbit, or salmon as the primary protein source but not duck. Mea culpa.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Through trial and error we found the food to be the culprit of his ear infections and he hasn't had them in over two years on the Hills duck and potato. Should I sub duck for your venison in this recipe. So many people cook for their pets I thought he might eat better and be healthier. His weight is 60 pounds and he's lean and thin just tall.

Duck can be substituted but the protein content in duck is less than in venison so you'll need to feed more of the duck.

3 ounces of duck contains 17 grams of protein.

3 ounces of venison contains 22 grams of protein.

Venison contains 1.3 times the amount of protein than does duck. 5 ounces of venison, then, would be substituted with 5.6 ounces of duck. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He started to be lethargic about 6-7 months ago. We used to walk 4 miles a day now wants no part of it. He's 8.5 years old. Just want him to feel better. Also lots of dark growths have popped up on his lower abdomen within the past 4 months. Should they be removed? I think I'll go by and get a copy of his first blood test done in Canada and try you again. (Tomorrow). Thank you, you are great! Kylene

Why stop his thyoid supplementation if hypothyroidism was found in conjunction with his lack of stamina? I'd have to see those growth to be more accurate for you. See if you upload photo(s) to our conversation. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. You're welcome, Kylene. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You told me to stop it for 2 weeks. He seems a lot more playful and normal. Vet here and I decided to observe and meet again after the first of the year. He's been off Med about 3 weeks. He's more alert and seems to feel better. I'll pick up initial blood test results and get back to you. Kylene

I don't remember telling you that but then I don't remember what I've had for breakfast most days...in any event, if he's more playful and normal acting I'm not going to argue with success. I'll watch for those test results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wish we could have a phone conversation but your system won't let you call my area which is also what you told me the last time. My number is(###) ###-####in Naples, Florida. I hope to pick up those results tomorrow. Kylene

Actually, Kylene, my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow my speaking with customers by phone in this venue. The board thinks I'm trying to establish a proper pet-vet-client relationship which according to the board can't be done on the phone.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Caledon. How is everything going?