Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a cocker spaniel and he is 8 yrs. old. past month he

Customer Question

Hi, I have a cocker spaniel and he is 8 yrs. old. For the past month he has been limping (not bearing any weight on it) and he has (what seems) a huge mass going from his shoulder down to his elbow. I have been giving him over the counter pain medicine for dogs and he seems okay, but when I don't he is in pain. Won't eat, drink and he won't move just lays there. Also, just yesterday I noticed a pea size fluid filed lump on the mass and it is red and he is losing hair in that area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

My concern for your sweet guy is that this mass could be something serious such as bone cancer. It is hard to know if this is merely scar tissue form a possible traumatic incident that you may not be aware of or something more serious.YOur vet will need to run tests to know for sure and I encourage you to do this as soon as possible so treatment can be initiated quickly to help your sweet guy past this distress. Your vet can biopsy this mass and prescribe the medication that will help him.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****