DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My 18lb yorkie terrier has horrible back spasms. Can he take

Customer Question

My 18lb yorkie terrier has horrible back spasms. Can he take soma until i van get him to the vet. I am very sick this am and won't be able to take him to the vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. No...it is NOT safe to give your dog Soma. This muscle relaxant can be toxic especially to such a small dog. If you are worried that your dog is in pain, you can give human buffered (enteric coated) baby aspirin. You can give 1/2 of a human baby aspirin every 8 hours. This is the ONLY. Safe human pain med to give your little dog. No ibuprofen or Tylenol etc. additionally you can try holding a warm pack over the back to help the muscles relax. I hope this helps.best of luck.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 12 months ago.
Hi Christine,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Christine Tobin. How is everything going?
DrMelJ