Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had a big hairy poo and now has yellow diarrhea this

Customer Question

my dog had a big hairy poo and now has yellow diarrhea this happened befor and cost us lots of money what can we do here at home to help her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did it look like her hair? Or something she may have eaten?

Has she had any vomiting, appetite loss, paling gums, or belly discomfort?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her hair and a rumbling tummy. very hyperacting
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if she is ingesting large volumes of her own hair, that can upset/irritate the gut to cause all of the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we can try some supportive care for Reba at this stage to see if we can get her settled.

To start, since you noted a rumbling stomach, I would note that we can try to settle any upper GI upset here with an OTC antacid. Pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Once that has had time to absorb, we can start her on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. You can even add a bit of fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to this to help further bulk up her stool (and help push any lingering hair out).

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise and something I do think it worthwhile for Reba would be to use a probiotic/kaolin mixture like Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon). All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, that could settle the diarrhea but also make sure the GI bacteria are as they should be.

Overall, it does sound like her hair ingestion has irritated her gut. Therefore, the above can help slow diarrhea and restore normal gut function. So, I would suggest the above for Reba. Of course, if she doesn't settle in the next 24 hours or so with all of the above, we'd want to consider a check to just make sure the hair isn't a red herring and that we have an infectious issue that needs antibiotics to clear.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much i will try your suggestions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad that I could give you a plan of action to address this for Reba. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )