Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I see you speak of saline solution to flush the nose I have

Customer Question

Customer: I see you speak of saline solution to flush the nose I have gone through four vets with my dog for mucousy nose .... Im not sure what saline to purchase I have saline mist and Rhinaris nasal mist which I now see many on the internet that apparently you have to be careful of which one I sure wish someone could help me ! First vet well he is old NOT ! Second vet antibiotics ... then third vet a flush operation which was very expensive 3 weeks later back again !!!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mucous nose stuffed up to the point of breathing through the mouth very clogged nose
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes just sooo frustrated 4 vets ???? already
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: is it secure
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now Saline Mist does not appear to be a brand itself (perhaps you have the generic), so you will need to list the ingredients. In regards ***** ***** Rhinaris drops, the can be used but it is preferable to use a product without Polyethylene Glycol. So, if you are struggling to find drops to use with your dog, you can just use OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. The latter even comes in a bottle that can be used as one would with nasal drops. Of course, 2-3 drops per nostril per treatment.

Finally, just to comment on your chronic rhinitis issues, if the flush didn't cure this, then you may need to speak to the vet about culturing the bacterial agent present in the mucus with a view to possible systemic treatment. Or if that has already been done, then one may need to consider scoping of the nasal passage using a scope with a camera to see what is present +/- sample the tissue for analysis. This can be of great benefit in diagnosing chronic nasal issues due to fungal infections, tumors, and even related to immune mediated rhinitis issues.

Please take care,

Dr. B.