Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 12 year old, female rottweiler (fixed) who has been

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old, female rottweiler (fixed) who has been vomiting for a month. A week after onset of vomiting I took her to the vet. Her blood work came out normal and she was prescribed Pepcid and a plain chicken and rice diet. She lost alot of weight. The weight loss has stablized but she still vomits clear fluid, sometimes with foam, sometimes with food. I am afraid she is not absorbing enough nutuients.
Otherwise, she is peppy, alert and engaged. Her coat is shiney. Please help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your Rottie. A history of such a duration of vomiting and profound weight loss in spite of normal blood work suggests a primary gastrointestinal disorder because the GI tract is poorly represented in those blood tests. X-rays or, preferably, ultrasound of her abdomen is the next diagnostic of choice and if imaging doesn't detect the problem, scoping and biopsy of her GI tract should be considered - an invasive (and costly) and stressful diagnostic at her age. Unfortunately, we're primarily looking for a cancer in a 12 year old Rottie with such a history but I'd like to review her blood work to be more accurate for you. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that the vet said she had a bad tooth. could she be swallowing poison from her tooth? I cannot afford MRIs and xrays. I will try to get her blood work to you.

Yes, but that isn't expected to cause such vomiting and profound weight loss. I understand your financial constraints. I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a more pressing family emergency right now. I cannot get the blood work to you. She is the same. Some days good, she vomits about 1 per week. Thanks but I can't even afford the $18.00 phone call. I will take your suggestions under advisement.

I understand. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.