Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is in so much pain with something going on with her

Customer Question

My dog is in so much pain with something going on with her legs. About a week ago she just started limping and her legs just seem to be hurting constantly. She limps on her front left leg and some on her back right leg. She is only 15 months old and is a bloodhound/lab mix. I need to help her sleep...she just lays around moaning and howling and at times lets out a loud cry when she starts hurting real bad. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're going to need to clarify why a shifting leg lameness exists in Tobin before you can know how to help her. Panosteitis, osteochondritis dissecans (unlikely to first appear at Tobin's age), hypertrophic osteodystrophy (unlikely to first appear at Tobin's age). and hypertrophic osteopathy are considerations when both the front and hind legs are affected. X-rays are imperative while Tobin is anesthetized. Unfortuantely, the only over the counter antiinflamamtory analgesic that's safe for her is aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily. You must avoid both ibuprofen and naproxen because they're toxic to dogs. Acetaminophen is safe at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but its efficacy is circumspect in dogs and it's not antiinflammatory.

It's also possible that her shiftling leg lameness is due to a polyarthritis. Her vet will need to carefully palpate Tobin's joints for joint effusion - excess joint fluid arising secondary to inflammation in the joint.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.