Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog Henri, wheaten terrier, 6 yrs old, was in the car

Customer Question

Customer: My dog Henri, wheaten terrier, 6 yrs old, was in the car today and sneezed and then started crying uncontrollably and acted as though his foot was hurting. He is still in pain and acting weird. not sure why or what even happened. He is panting and cannot relax, perhaps he tore a ligament?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi, I'm not even sure what happened, if he pulled something in the car or if it could be something else. He literally sneezed and now is in really bad pain.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thats fine.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize the expert you requested appears to be unavailable.

I might need a bit more information to be able to answer your question to the best of my ability:

Is Henri still crying out and if so is it when he moves or you pick him up, or is it all the time? Is he limping or walking funny (back arched or head down)? Is he eating or drinking normally?

thanks for taking a moment to answer a few more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is crying randomly when you touch him, and very out of sorts. I just don't know what would have caused this from a sneeze and riding in the car.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

My top concern is that he is experiencing neck or back pain. This is the most common cause for random crying out and being this out of sorts. It could potentially occur from a powerful sneeze, especially neck pain. You could try to confirm if he has pain at home by a gentle exam. To test his neck, have him in a standing or sitting position. Then, gently and slowly elevate his head until his nose is pointed at the ceiling. Then lower his head until the nose is pointed at the floor. Then move his head to the left and then the right (his nose should almost touch his shoulder). If he cries out, gets grumpy or refuses then you found the painful spot. With neck pain you may also note he holds his head funny or guarded. If nothing is found then you can test his back by running a finger down his spine and pressing over each spinous process.

If you find neck or back pain, then I must recommend you have him examined tonight. This is terribly painful and can cause significant swelling which could put him at risk for losing nerve function in his legs. Therefore, starting prescription pain medication and antiinflammatories can be very useful. The sooner this is done, the better outlook for him to make a complete recovery without the need for surgery. There are no good (safe) over-the-counter pain products I can recommend. You canNOT use naproxen, ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I do not recommend aspirin because there is always a risk of stomach upset or ulceration with this and it does not provide good pain relief.

If you are unable to get him in, then encourage him to rest as best possible tonight and get him in first thing in the morning.

Aside from neck pain, abdominal pain is also possible but I could not link this to a sneeze. He would probably also have other symptoms developing such as vomiting or diarrhea. Bone pain or head pain from another source is also a possibility but I do think you would see other symptoms than the crying out in pain (which is very classic for neck or back pain).

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm just following up to find out how he has been doing. Please let me know if there is anything further I can be of assistance with.

Cheers, ***** *****