Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a 7 year old dachsund and we were m when he flew up

Customer Question

Hi! I have a 7 year old dachsund and we were petting him when he flew up and yelped when we touched his left side. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Boomer's problem! Was it along his body or on a leg that he yelped after you touched him? Is he otherwise acting normally? Breathing ok? Eating and drinking? Was he walking normally today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was on the middle of the left side of his body. He is walking around and jumping down from the couch but his tail is tucked. He doesn't want to be by me i think because he doesn't want me to touch his side again
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Poor guy! And any accidents we know of today? Jumps off a deck or falls or tumbles or accidentally being stepped on/kicked?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I worry about in a dachsund with pain like this is that he could possibly have a mild herniated disc in his back. Unfortunately dachsunds are prone to these! Luckily in his case, if this is what he has it is very mild, as it sounds like it is only causing him discomfort if pressed on/touched. We usually treat these problems with a pain reliever, a muscle relaxer, and either an NSAID or a steroid. Unfortunately these are only available by prescription, so you will have to wait to see your vet to get them. In the meantime, if he will tolerate it, you can apply a cold pack (i.e. a bag of frozen veggies wrapped in a thin towel) to the area for 5 to 10 minutes every few hours. If it causes him distress and he is fighting it, then it isn't worth it though. The other key is to keep him as quiet and contained as possible. No stairs/jumping/running/etc.- only outside to potty and on a leash so he can't take off after a squirrel and further injure himself! If you aren't right there by him, he should be in a small room or crate so he can't run around. It is also possible this is just a muscle strain or sprain, but the same principles would be applied in treating him. Here is an article for you on disk disease with more information if you like: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No accidents that we know of, but last Christmas he hurt his back and instead of surgery we did medicine and rest for 2 weeks and when we went back, he was so better and it corrected itself. He is in his kennel now so that he can rest and not move around a lot.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

That is the best thing for him then! These guys who have had back issues before can have flare ups occasionally. Some never have the problem again, others will have little episodes now and then. I would keep him quiet as you are doing, and if he is still reacting painfully tomorrow, call your vet's office. If at any point he becomes weak/lethargic or extremely painful during the night, then those would be reasons to seek emergency care, but it sounds like hopefully he will be comfortable if he is able to keep quiet.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to rate our conversation so we can know if you are satisfied with your response and I can get credit for helping you today. Thank you and best of luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if he is in pain? I don't want him to be in pain and I don't know how to tell if he is.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Signs of pain would include whining/crying, being unable to settle to lay down to rest, panting excessively. If any of these occur, then he is quite uncomfortable and needs to be seen soon. If he is able to fall asleep and rest then he may be in some mild discomfort, but should be ok to wait overnight to be seen. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Just making sure you got my answer and to see if you had any other questions about Boomer!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in to see how Boomer did!