Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Our puppy may have ate a pentoxifylline tab 400mg er when it

Customer Question

our puppy may have ate a pentoxifylline tab 400mg er when it was dropped on the floor. what can we do for him or watch for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dog.

Can you please tell me what kind of puppy he is, exactly how old, and how much he weighs?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months old, chihuahua
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 5 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

He weighs how much?

How long ago did this happen?

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

5 pounds... got that part. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 15 minutes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now he's playing and showing no symptoms of anything wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Okay... good. I'm glad it just happened. The normal dose of pentoxifylline for a puppy this small would be only 50-100mg, so this is a significant overdose. It can cause pretty serious problems, with peak effects expected to happen around 3 hours after ingestion.

Because of the risks of an overdose and the fact he just ate this, I would strongly advise getting him to throw up absolutely as soon as possible, and starting what's called "decontamination therapy" as quickly as possible.

The best way to do that is to take him to an emergency center right away. That's the safest.

While you can sometimes be successful using fresh hydrogen peroxide to make a dog throw up at home, that's not nearly as safe or likely to be effective.

(typing more)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'd hate to see you waste the time trying to get him to vomit at home when it may not even work, when he's so young and tiny and would be in better hands at the emergency center. Plus, it's still safer to have him go there so he can receive activated charcoal after throwing up.

Much better to be safe than sorry.

Thank you for using our website, and get him to the ER as quickly as possible.

Please take a moment to rate my response on your way out of the chat, however, so I may receive credit for helping you.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.

If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

(rating option enabled)

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to ask how things went with your dog last night. I hope he's doing well and is recovering without complications.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is doing great. thanks
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

Oh, good. I am so happy to hear this. Glad everything turned out well.