Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 18 month old Mini Schnauzer bites imaginary flies or

Customer Question

My 18 month old Mini Schnauzer bites imaginary flies or looks up at the sky constantly.
I there a medication I can give him to control this? I am worried that it may be the beginning of a brain tumor.
Customer
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that Boomer is showing this symptom. The primary concern of fly biting is petite mal seizures or complex partial seizures. CLICK HERE for more information on this condition in dogs

Once basic bloodwork is done on your dog and your vet reviews a video of the behavior (if you are able to record) then medications will be initiated to control the behavior. He is at the age we do tend to see seizure activity begin, often what is called idiopathic in nature or we simply don't have a full understanding of cause...

But medications such as phenobarbital are used regularly to treat the symptoms and hopefully Boomer will have a normal happy healthy life with this behavior and it will be well controlled with medications.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Boomer. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman