Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had diarea days, I have no car to take m to the

Customer Question

my dog has had diarea for three days , I have no car to take him to the vet. What should i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if he has had diarrhea for a few days already, we do need to tread with care. This is because diarrhea can cause dehydration, nutrition loss, lethargy, weakness, and weight loss. So, we don't want this to linger for your lad.

Still, there is some supportive care you can try to rule out some causes for this loose stool. Of course, if this lingers despite those steps I will now outline, we may need his vet to come to him as a house visit or have a local mobile vet come to seem him and get around having to transport him to a vet.

In regards ***** ***** care, to start we do often find a light/easy to digest diet beneficial. As this is easier for the upset gut to process, it tends to lead to less diarrhea to pass. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As well, I would note that we can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran as a fiber source to help bulk up the stool as well.

Since worms can be a cause for diarrhea in dogs, if he has not been wormed recently, it would be ideal to do so now. You can obtain wormers from OTC vets, pet stores, and even online as long as you have an idea of his weight (to make sure you get the right dose). If you do so, I would note that Panacur would be ideal since it will help against worms but also some diarrhea causing protozoa too.

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate,these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)).This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, FastBalance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, just as in people, diarrhea can be caused by a range of issues in the dog. We commonly see it with bacterial infection, viruses, parasites, protozoa, related to internal issues (especially in older dogs), and dietary indiscretions. Therefore, we do need to tread with care. Still, if he is otherwise well in himself, we can try the above to rule out some of these causes and slow the diarrhea. And hopefully he will settle with this. Of course, if it lingers, we'd need to think about having his vet to come to him or taking a stool sample into them for analysis to help pinpoint the cause and get him onto treatment to clear any of those for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet