Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is 9.5 yrs old. He has been throwing up since

Customer Question

My dog is 9.5 yrs old. He has been throwing up since yesterday, temp is normal, is drinking water but can't hold it down. Ate yesterday but threw it up. He has recently been diagnosed with mast cell cancer but it was only in one area at the time and not in the lymphnoids. My vet removed that. I have him on comfort care and just want him to enjoy the time I have with him but I don't want him suffering. Do you think this is linked to the cancer?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Jameson is not feeling well today. Although it is unlikely it is related to the mast cell tumor there is a possibility if the margins of removal were not clear or an ultrasound was not performed to ensure no metastasis was found. I can give you some basic guidelines to hopefully get him feeling better but if he is still vomiting by tomorrow then please consider having your vet evaluate him and give stronger medications to control his symptoms and determine the underlying cause.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours after the 6-8 hours to test the stomach. Even if he is holding down water now to test whether administering pepcid is safe

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Jameson comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is already on 20 mg famotidine twice daily. He also takes Temaril P (1 tab twice a day)for hives that have occurred in the last couple of months for producing too many histamines. Takes Sotalol (1 tab twice a day 80mg ea) for a rapid irregular heart rate. Lastly tramadol hydrochloride (1 tab twice per day 50mg) for arthritis. If I keep him from drinking water won't he get dehydrated? Is there anything that I can do to make him more comfortable? I'm trying to hold out till tomorrow to get him to my vet.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If he is not actively vomiting he will not become dehydrated from drinking little or in moderation until beginning meals. If he is still actively vomiting he is more likely to become dehydrated because he is taking in water and then vomiting it up. I know this is terribly confusing but as long as he is not actively vomiting not having water for a short period of time will not result in dehydration

The tramadol will help in aiding his comfort level and can be increased temporarily to three times daily to maintain comfort.

As long as you are aware of the red flags that he should be seen sooner and he is not symptomatic then waiting until tomorrow should be fine but if anything changes or you need guidance in the next 12 hours please don't hesitate to ask. I will be online barring meal breaks most of today...

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all started in May/June where he had an infection on his heart valve. He beat it after trying 7 different antibiotics and lost20 lbs. everytime I was ready to put him down he gave my vet and I a glimmer of hope. Then came the hives and he had ulcers develop in his mouth. That is when we tested for the mast cell cancer. My vet did a biopsy of 3 spots and only one came back positive and none in the lymphnoids. We did not do the ultrasound because I'm not putting him through chemo. Just did that for my mom and that is too hard on them. I had his teeth cleaned and the vet put him on antibiotics and those have healed. Up until yesterday he has felt spunky and happy. My goal is to keep him comfortable and not to be suffering.Thank you. I will increase the tramadol for the time being.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, truly hope that you are able to get him comfortable...

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you and best wishes to you both

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I will be away from my computer for about an hour in about 10 minutes but will return as soon as I am able to clarify any additional points

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am back the rest of the evening if you have any additional questions. If you are satisfied with my responses I would be grateful if you would rate our chat so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both