Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have Cephalexin 500mg capsules Golden but my 12 lb poodle

Customer Question

Hi. I have Cephalexin 500mg capsules for my Golden but my 12 lb poodle has the same cold. How much should I give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

A 12lb dog would only get a dose between 50-150mg twice daily. Therefore, if one was treating him with these capsules, they would need to be divided into a much smaller dose. For ease of doing this (which won't be very easy in capsule formulation as opposed to tablet), you could give him a dose of 1/4th of the capsule at each dosing. So, you would need to get a gram scale to work out 125mg (1/4th of the 5oomg) and then either just give that in the capsule or add to food for him to take. Of course, if your vet did just see the other dog for a cold and prescribed this treatment, you can ring them to update them on this situation and they may be willing to give you a course of more appropriate sized Cephalexin capsule for your smaller lad.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you so much Dr B ... I'll get back to you if I need to. I have a local Dr but it's Sunday ūüėĄ
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad that I could be of assistance to you. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dr B answered my question in less than ten minutes with confidence and compassion apparent in her words.
Thank you!
Sincerely, *****
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.