Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is swallowing a lot and having to go outside to

Customer Question

My dog is swallowing a lot and having to go outside to relieve himself every couple of hours.I took him to the vet and he gave me amoxi clav 500/125mg and prednisone 50mg for a throat infection.The medication is all gone and the dog is still the same as when I first took him there,any suggestions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Gunner. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Jo for you. Please clarify "to relieve himself...". Prednisone will increase urine production and result in Gunner's needing to urinate more frequently but I need to know if Gunner were relieving himself often prior to the prednisone being administered and if you're talking about his urinating or defecating. If the antibiotic and steroid haven't been helpful, the diagnosis of "throat infection" needs to be re-evaluated. "Swallowing a lot" often indicates gastrointestinal rather than respiratory distress.