Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

How can I get my Shih Tzu to produce more milk imminent 5

Customer Question

How can I get my Shih Tzu to produce more milk for her imminent 5 puppies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Jessie. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Jo for you. Are you concerned that Jessie won't produce enough milk because she has a history of hypogalactia (partial failure to produce milk) or agalactia (complete failure to produce milk)?

In general, making sure that her nutrition is appropriate (Blue Buffalo puppy food is a good choice and you shouldn't be supplementing it with additional vitamins and, particularly, calcium), avoiding stress and situations that might make Jessie anxious, and correcting any pre-existing medical conditions should suffice. If Jessie still isn't producing enough milk post-partum, hypogalactia can be addressed with either metoclopromide or domperidone and anxious bitches may benefit from mild tranquilization with phenothiazine compounds such as acepromazine which also increase prolactin release - a hormone necessary for milk letdown.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.