DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My 9 year old lab has skin irratation the bottom side of

Customer Question

My 9 year old lab has skin irratation the bottom side of mouth,under his chin.any idea what it could be?it's kind of white and pussie?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. It sounds like your dog has some acne. Yes, dogs get it too! It can be caused by chronic irritation...does he scratch a lot or drool a lot? mite infection,fleas, allergies (is it itchy elsewhere?) or sometimes just a bacterial infection. Ideally, you should have him examined by a vet to help distinguish between these causes so you can treat and prevent this from happening again. If he has a lot of pus filled bumps, antibiotics may be necessary. I would not recommend continuing to use hydrogen peroxide as this can be irritating after repeated use. You can gently clean the area with medicated wipes like Cliniwipes. Then apply human neosporin to the area. This is the best treatment i can recommend until you see a vet. Try to keep him from licking or rubbing the area. Best wishes. I hope this helps.