Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What can I give my dog cough?

Customer Question

What can I give my dog for a cough?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as Rudy is breathing comfortably, we can try to soothe a sudden onset cough at home. Of course, we do have to be aware that if it lingers infectious agents (bacterial or viral airway infections), tracheitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, or other issues (ie heart disease can cause soft coughs, heart or lung worm, etc) would be a concern and we'd want to plant to have a check up with his vet.

Still for the moment, you can sooth his throat by giving a tablespoon of honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey. Alternatively you can use Robitussin DM. Though with this one, we'd need to take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading, but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours.

So, that would be our best option for Rudy here at this stage. Of course, again if it lingers, then we'd want a check up for him so that antibiotics can be dispensed for any infectious causes for this.

hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rudy. How is everything going?
nekovet