Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2 yr old mixed stared coughing very hoarsely last night

Customer Question

My 2 yr old mixed stared coughing very hoarsely last night what can we do or do you know what may be the problem?
wi
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** causes for this hoarse coughing, we do have a few concerns. The most common for a young dog though would be a possible tracheitis, esophagitis (if she ate something that has irritated the throat),or a possible exposure to kennel cough.

With these in mind, there is some supportive care we can try to soothe your dog's throat. Of course, if this lingers, then infectious agents would be a concern and that would warrant a visit to the local vet for antibiotics +/- dog safe anti-inflammatories. In regards ***** ***** options for the moment, you can try your wee one on a soft diet for the next few days to avoid any further irritation. As well, you can sooth their throat by giving a tablespoon of plain honey+glycerin cough syrup or even plain honey. Alternatively use Robitussin DM but you must take care not to use one with cold medication added to it. It will take some label reading,but do avoid any syrups with cold medications in (ie acetaminophen,paracetamol, ibuprofen or any human cold medications since many are toxic for dogs), you just want one to lubricate and soothe the throat. When using Robitussin DM, we tend to give 1 milligram per pound of their body weight every 8 hours.

Overall, these would be our concerns for a sudden onset harsh cough in a young dog. Therefore, we can try the above to soothe the throat. It irritation is the cause, this should settle that for your wee one. But if this cough persists, then we'd want to consider a check up with your vet to confirm our suspicions and potentially have them dispense an antibiotic to help clear this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet